There are several new stations that have, or will shortly launch on DAB in various parts of the UK, including JACK in Surrey and Pirate Oldies in Cornwall and Plymouth.
Here are the latest DAB digital radio updates for August 2015:
- Niocast has launched services on DAB in Central Manchester - find it on VHF Block 10B
- Citybeat on the Northern Ireland multiplex has been rebranded " Q "
- JACK and JACK2 launched on the Surrey and South London multiplex 08/08/2015. More details here.
- Sam FM has been removed from the Bristol and the South Hampshire multiplexes in the past fortnight.
- The Brighton small-scale DAB trial is live on VHF block 9A. Available stations include Juice 107.2 and Radio Reverb.
- On 19th August, Solent Wireless launched six stations on DAB across the Greater Portsmouth area - the stations are as follows:
As previously reported on a516digital, the Bournemouth multiplex is expanding to cover more of Dorset. A new transmitter at Bincombe Hill, improving reception in Weymouth and Dorcester was reported here as being live last month, but the official launch of this transmitter, plus another one in Poole took place 07/08/2015. Existing transmitter sites will also be getting a boost, producing better reception across more of the county.
- CARDIFF AND NEWPORT: Bridge FM replaces Nation Hits on the Cardiff and Newport multiplex on the 1st September 2015. More details...
- CORNWALL AND PLYMOUTH: Two new stations from Pirate FM are launching: Pirate Oldies - launching 1st September - will be broadcast on both the Cornwall and Plymouth local DAB multiplexes and will play music from the 50s through to the 80s, but particularly 60s and 70s music, targeting the 50+ age group. Escape (to Cornwall) - launching 1st October 2015 will feature the relaxing soundsapes of Cornwall (Cornwall multiplex only). Both stations will be broadcast in 128 kbps stereo.
- LINCOLNSHIRE: The new local DAB multiplex for Lincolnshire is due to launch, enabling listeners to tune-in to stations including BBC Radio Lincolnshire and Lincs FM on DAB for the first time. Tests are now due to commence towards the end of September 2015.
- UK: The remainder of the small-scale DAB trials are due to go live in the coming weeks. Birmingham community station Big City Radio has confirmed it's joining the Birmingham trial broadcasts. The small-scale DAB trial is a nine-month test of a new way of broadcasting local and niche stations across a relatively small area via the DAB digital radio platform. There are 10 trial locations. More information here.
- UK: Global Radio is expected to announce the arrival of Radio X, the replacement for XFM on DAB.
Last updated and archived: 31/08/2015
- If you have a DAB digital radio update, please get in touch, via the contact link at the foot of the page.
- Stay informed: This page will be updated throughout August with any further developments. On occasion, changes to DAB services are not made available in advance. Ofcom may limit information about multiplex changes due to commercial reasons. In some cases, Ofcom doesn't publish official documentation under after the changes have been made and recorded.