For Freeview and YouView viewers, some other services will be temporarily affected as a result of the changes.
The details were released by Garazi Gola, the BBC's acting Director of Distribution.
Freeview and YouView
- BBC Red Button on channels 301 and 302
- Part-time BBC Red Button 301 during Commonwealth Games
- CBBC HD off air from 16th July until after the Games.
- Changes to some BBC Radio stations in Scotland
Both channels will run for 24 hours during Wimbledon and Glastonbury.
During the Commonwealth Games, the BBC Red Button service on channel 301 will become part-time, available from 1900-0530. This is because the service will be timesharing with CBBC as BBC Three will be going full time for the Games. Unlike previous events, such as the 2012 Olympics, the BBC can't turn off BBC Parliament during the Commonwealth Games to allow other services to expand, as Parliament will not yet be in recess when the Games coverage starts.
On Freeview HD, CBBC HD will be taken off-air from 16th July until shortly after the Commonwealth Games to make way for the extended BBC Three HD coverage of the Games. Full details here ►
In Scotland, BBC Radio 4, 4 extra, BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, BBC Asian Network and BBC Radio Scotland will be taken off-air during the evenings when BBC Alba is on air. This is to allow the BBC to cater for the extra Commonwealth Games coverage, when it is likely they will be changing bitrate allocations for the channels. The move takes place on the 16th July until after the Games, and temporarily reverses the changes that took place in December to Freeview radio in Scotland.
Viewers with selected connected smart TVs with the BBC's Connected Red Button will be able to watch extra coverage from Glastonbury. Smart TVs with the BBC Sport App will be able to provide extra coverage from Wimbledon and Commonwealth Games via broadband internet (2-2.5Mbps minimum speed).
Sky and Freesat
- BBC Red Button to be available on Sky and Freesat from channel 981 during Wimbledon and Glastonbury
- BBC Red Button to be available on Sky and Freesat from channel 980 during Commonwealth Games.
- One HD stream from 23rd June, on Sky and Freesat channel 986.
- CBBC HD moves to temporary frequency for the Commonwealth Games.
Viewers with Sky and Freesat will shortly see the extended BBC Red Button service appear on their channel lists, meaning that viewers will be able to record all their favourite Wimbledon, Glastonbury and Commonwealth Games moments. At a glance: Red Button channel numbers ►
To make all of this extra coverage possible, the BBC has obtained an extra satellite transponder to broadcast the services until early August. CBBC HD will shortly switch to this new transponder to allow BBC Three HD to go full time in July for the Commonwealth Games. On Sky and Freesat, the Electronic Programme Guide used by receivers will be updated, so that viewers shouldn't need to do anything.
Viewers who do have problems should switch off their receivers for 30 seconds and retry accessing the services.
BBC Red Button HD makes a return this summer on satellite, where it will be a timeshare service with CBBC HD, during late July and early August.
A part-time BBC Red Button service - called BBC RB0 - will launch on Sky and Freesat channel 980 for the Commonwealth Games, available from 1900-0530.
Viewers with Freesat Freetime receivers connected to a broadband internet connection will be able to watch additional streams of Wimbledon and Commonwealth Games coverage via the BBC Sport App.
- Do you need to manually tune in BBC services? BBC channels on satellite: manual tuning details ► European viewers should note that the extra Red Button streams are on the UK spotbeam, and coverage beyond the UK and neighbouring countries is limited.
- BBC Red Button on Virgin Media 991 - 996 for Wimbledon and Glastonbury
- BBC Red Button on Virgin Media 990 - 996 for Commonwealth Games
All BBC Red Button streams, including HD on channel 996 are available to Virgin Media viewers.
BBC RB0 will be available on Virgin Media for the Commonwealth Games on channel 990 from 1900-0530 daily. At a glance: Red Button channel numbers ►
Viewers with TiVO are able to access additional streams via the BBC's Connected Red Button service.
Article updated 17:47 19/06/2014